Translate

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Tree of knowledge.


This is the tree of knowledge, as we know Eve was punished for seeking knowledge, so the bible tells it. In my interpretation i see the garden of Eden as a negative space where ignorance rules, an, educational dark place. At the side of the tree, under the apple are the things Eve has gained from biting in to knowledge. She is educated, has learned new skills, and has control over her own reproductive process.
I prefer to see the Garden of Eden as a transitional period, one in which Eves biting in to the apple was an evolutionary and revolutionary act.

Ink on paper. 6/3/11.

6 comments:

  1. Never thought about it like that before but that does make a lot of sense. People do try to play it down so they have something to blame, but it did bring about a more evolutionary act. Interesting take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat.The bible was written by lots of different scholars, hence the contradictions. Most of it is a symptom of its time. If passages were added in peace time then they are peaceful, conversely if there was a shit storm happening, it preached violence.Think for yourself always, and be a good person. That is my take on everything.

      Delete
  2. Wow yea I agree with pat I haven't thought of it like that very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, im hoping to make it in to a larger piece exploring the themes.

      Delete
  3. TBH I'm not that surprised. That was one of the very first things that I questioned about the bible stories when I was still a Catholic. Some Catholics I know play it as if it was the most pivotal point in human history, that we moved away from God and now we inherit the consequences.

    No thank you, I'd rather not inherit the sins of my ("original") father

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting; i want to take this in to the painting stage. Original sin was developed by Saint Hippolytus, he was a closeted gay man, hated the world.

      Delete

Message me, i always reply. I love hearing peoples thoughts or views about what i make.